Good Writing Prompts for High School
High school students often struggle with finding inspiration for their creative writing assignments. Writing prompts can be a great way to overcome writer’s block and generate new ideas. Writing prompts can come in the form of words, phrases, pictures, or questions and can be used for various types of writing, such as fiction writing, essay writing, or freewriting in a journal. Using writing prompts can help students break through the block and start writing. Here are some examples of creative writing prompts for high school students:
– Write a story about a character who discovers a mysterious, abandoned house in the woods.
– Imagine that you are stranded on a deserted island. Write a story about your experience.
– Write a poem about a summer day you will never forget.
– Write a letter to your future self ten years from now.
– Write a story about a character who is being stalked by an unknown assailant.
– Start your story with a conversation between two characters who are arguing.
– What if you woke up one morning with the ability to fly? How would you use this ability?
– Write a story about a character who wakes up to find that they’ve turned into a giant chicken.
– Write about a time when you felt particularly proud of yourself.
– Write an essay about a significant event in your life and how it has impacted you.
– Write a story about a character who goes on a solo hike in the wilderness and becomes lost.
– Write a story about a character who is given a device that can predict the future.
– Write a story about a character who is being stalked by a demon.
In addition to using writing prompts, there are other ways to unleash creativity in high school students. One suggestion is to attend a creative writing summer program to learn proven formulas for creating brilliant stories. Another suggestion is to practice different writing techniques and styles using writing prompts. Writing outside of one’s comfort zone can help challenge and expand creativity. Overall, writing prompts can provide the inspiration needed to get into the flow and start writing creatively.